What is happening to the church???

Apologies for this rant but I just needed to share what's on my heart and I'm writing this because I love people. I get so sad, frustrated and I must admit angry when I see all these megachurches and celebrity pastors with their designer clothes and private jets preaching these self-centered and people-centered "sermons" on acquiring possessions, status, fame and achieving worldly success. One can't even call it church anymore, it's resembling cults or motivational conferences. People cheering and applauding these men on stage claiming to be pastors when they are behaving more like performers or motivational speakers. Sometimes they don't even open their Bibles, they "preach" from their own books, or a fellow pastors' book or talk about their lives. The saddest part is millions of people are following these men straight to hell... What is happening to the church?

And I must admit I was sucked in by these celebrity pastors too for a while, until I started thinking to myself these guys only preach about 5% of the Bible and I started studying the Bible myself. That is the key, we have to study the Bible ourselves people, when we study the Bible ourselves we will not be easily deceived.

We are called to love God, put Him first (not ourselves), love people (feeding and helping the poor, the widows and the orphans) and to spread the Gospel. That is why we were created. The role of pastors are to equip their congregations and to spiritually feed their flock so that they can go out and spread the Gospel! Not to sell books and dvd's and get rich off their congregations! As Christians we are called to point people to Jesus, not ourselves!

I shouldn't be surprised though because what's happening in the church today is described in the Bible.

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." - Matthew 6:19-21

I just had to share what's on my heart...Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life. 

Let's pray for these men and their followers...

I love you all...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is up with this "Hustle Culture" and Materialism glorification?

Not another middle-aged mom blogger!

Choosing appreciation and celebration over envy and comparison...